International investment position(Meth)
The Republic of China
International investment position
|Contact person||Balance of Payments Section
Economic Research Department, Central Bank of the Republic of China (Taiwan)
Internet e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I. Analytical Framework, Concepts, Definitions and Classifications
- Analytical framework: Taiwan's international investment position (IIP) is compiled in accordance with the guidelines set out in the sixth edition of the IMF's Balance of Payments Manual (BPM6).
- Definitions: Taiwan's IIP is an annual statistical statement of the stock of Taiwan's external financial assets and liabilities.
- Classification system: Taiwan's IIP is based on the IMF's BPM6.
II. Scope of the Data
- Coverage: All external financial assets and liabilities are covered
III. Accounting Conventions
- Conversion to unit of account: IIP stock figures are translated into U.S. dollars at the exchange rate of the reference date.
- Valuation: IIP figures are valued at market prices as far as they are available. For the stock of direct investment abroad is measured on a net-worth basis because most companies invested are not exchange-listed.
IV. Nature of Basic Data
- Direct investment: Asset side is based largely on the balance sheet of listed companies and estimated through the accumulation of flows, while liability side is largely based on reports submitted by custody institutions, capital amount of branches or affiliates in Taiwan, external debt statistics, and indirect estimation methods.
- Portfolio investment: Primary sources of data are banks' balance sheet of foreign assets and liabilities, outward portfolio investment statistics or survey, reports submitted by custody institutions, GDR and ECB outstanding balance, and indirect estimation methods.
- Financial derivatives: Primary sources of data are banks' balance sheet of foreign assets and liabilities, reports submitted by custody institutions, and indirect estimation methods.
- Other investment: Primary sources of data are banks' balance sheet of foreign assets and liabilities, external debt statistics, Taiwan's external loans and deposits of reporting banks of BIS International Banking Statistics, and indirect estimation methods.
- Reserve assets: Source of data is the balance of sheet of Central Bank of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
V. Compilation Practices
- A wide variety of verification procedures are practiced during data collection and compilation.
VI. Other Aspects
- Seasonal adjustment: No seasonal adjustments to IIP data are presently attempted.
- Data revisions: The data are preliminary when first released and are revised about one year later.